Tuesday, March 1, 2011

concerts, culture, and...tacos!

Eric Clapton concert was a few weeks ago. It was awesome. Not at all like the other concerts I've been to here, it was very chill. I had a good time listening to all the different styles. His band had some neat tricks! And of course, Clapton was a genius on his guitars. I enjoyed it. My favorite part of the night was definitely when he did "Layla" acoustically. It's my favorite Clapton song. :) Met up with some other friends after the show and headed home together, chatting about the concert.

I started another dance class last week, as well. It's soooo hard! It's a hip-hop class, but I think it's intermediate. XP I have no idea why Pedro (my Jazz dance instr.) recommended I take that one. But, I'm definitely getting a workout! I'm gonna look goooooood. hahahaha

Last Sat was supposed to be a packing day with my friend Sarah, but Fri night I went out to celebrate another friend getting a new job. So, We didn't meet up til late and ended up going to get breakfast in Gangnam. Butterfinger Pancakes is soooo good! I ordered the waffle set - comes with eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes. YUM. I even finished some pancakes that my friend couldn't eat. XP I am such a pig. lol
After that, we met up with Katie and Soo and went to see The Mechanic. Not that great of a movie...of course it was rated R and starred Jason Stathom. I need to stay clear of his movies; they're gonna be full of a lot of fighting and killing. Normally, I like action, but this was just painful to watch and gave me a headache.

Sunday I woke up to rain...and another headache. So, I stayed home and did more laundry.
Sunday night, I met up with some friends in Ansan and went to a tradition Korean Restaurant. We had this huge 3-4 course meal with wine. :) The place was awesome~It was a gorgeous place (I'll share pics once my friend posts hers-my camera died). The food was delicious! Even all the seafood was enjoyable. I tried everything. But, definitely a good experience, I'm glad I decided to deal with the rain and venture out.

On to my day today. I did more laundry (I got lazy this past week/end) and went into Seoul to meet a new Korean friend. On the way, I made another mental note to comment on the culture. As in most (if not all) areas, there are people who are poor or homeless. I have often seen someone kneeling/bowing on the stairwell, with a basket laid in front of them. I do see people give them money, but more often than not, I feel like they are just ignored. I've always been uncomfortable just giving money (thanks, Dad) to those in need, and I also don't quite understand the culture well in this situation...so I just walk passed.
On the subways, there are usually people walking from car to car, placing a typed up note into your lap. Now, the first time I received one, I didn't think to observe first and just placed the paper in my purse. As I paid more attention, I noticed that most people will completely ignore the note in their lap. Some will pull out a few bills or coins to give to them when they return (after they give out the papers, they walk back collecting the papers).
I also have noticed that those who are blind will walk from car to car with a basket and music playing. The music is usually some sort of hymn that you can hear before you see the source. People will subtly move further away from the center to keep away from them. I don't think they are despised, just someone people are not comfortable being around. It seems that way to me.

Anyway, that's all for the culture today. I'm sure more will come to me as I continue experiencing Korea.

Today was a day off --It's Independence Day for the South. I met up with a new friend and we chatted about ourselves over coffee and tea. We met after she decided to add me on Facebook. We were both invited to a graduation party in Hongdae, at one of the clubs. After tea, we went over to the mexican food place I discovered a few weeks ago. I enjoyed another burrito and Gracie had a taco. Randomly talked to a foreigner there who was from Phoenix! Small world, even in Korea. I didn't know her, but we talked about how wonderful the restaurant was. :)

Went home after deciding with Gracie we need to meet up for tacos more often. She enjoyed the meal. ^_^

Oh! Before I forget, it's not official, but I am most likely staying another year. They want me to resign and seem to be optimistic (my co-teacher is, at least) about me being able to get some extra time off for my friend's wedding. I also have another friend asking me to be in her wedding, but the date is not certain. I'm hoping for the summer so I can be there!!

I get new students this week! The new semester starts Thursday; I'm assigned to only teaching 5th grade this year but I have a few more English classes. I'm excited to get some new students and the chance to work with just one grade. It means I'm more included as a 5th grade teacher, so the Korean teachers are going to invite me to more things, I think. :) We had lunch together last week when all the teachers were in to set up for the new year. It was nice~! I'm hoping this will help me get more into practicing my Korean. I hope~~~~

Ok, gonna run. I think my clothes finished drying. Love and miss you all!!!♥

2 comments:

  1. Seal and U2 will both be in Santiago after I leave. Booooooo! And Sting was here but it was sold out. Double boooooo! I think Eric Clapton might be impossible to see in the states. Not sure, I think I remember the tickets sold out and were extremely expensive. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. staying another year!!!??? I am happy for you if this is what you want, but sad for me because I won't be able to see you :(! Hopefully you will be able to come visit before you start another year there. Gave you seem to be having a great time even with the culture!

    ReplyDelete