Wednesday, March 9, 2011

work dinners.

The other day, my co-teacher asked if I wanted to join the "fellowship" that the school has. I guess it's like a Union, but the money we give to the program pays for dinners and other outing events for the teachers to take part in. I decided to join the fellowship because I will be staying one more year (I haven't officially signed, but have spoken to my co-teacher that I want to stay).
Korea is a very close-knit culture and doing things together is a big deal. I've had many a times where my Korean friend, Sungmin, has had to cancel on me because he has a work dinner. Now, I understand why he has done so. Tonight was my first official work dinner. It was interesting, fun, tiring, confusing, and great. I of course, enjoyed the food, as always. :) But, this time, I spent the evening talking to many of the 5th grade teachers. Some of them do speak some English! One of the male 5th grade teachers decided to test me on my Korean reading skills. He kept handing me a new bottle to read! :D It was fun. I supposedly get a prize tomorrow, for that. haha~
In Korea, towards the end of the meal, you are supposed to travel around to other tables and share a "shot" with your co-workers. It can be Soju (alcohol), cider (sprite), or water. I chose Soju for the most part, because I felt like it was important to do so with my principal (i guess I wanted to impress him - we were also running out of cider!). I managed to share drinks with a few 5th grade teachers, the head 5th grade teacher, the principal, and another high in office teacher (3rd in command??). It was such a nice night, getting to know them and practicing my Korean - or lack thereof!! I am thankful I decided to join in this because I didn't want another year of being the waegook (foreigner). I even have an invite to the 5th grade teacher's office to do my nails. :P (The head teacher is female, and really good at doing nail art)

Here's to a fun second year~~~chan! (cheers!) ♥

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is impressive and sounds like you are getting more and more immersed in the culture you find yourself. I am proud of your willingness to try new things and experiences. I am hope your second year works out for you and that you learn more. I always wished that I had studied aboard or did something like this.

    ReplyDelete