Saturday, February 19, 2011

A little bit of culture

So, I went out on Friday night with some friends. Met up with Matthew, Andrea, Mike, Sunna, Dan, Kyujin, Jason, and JJ for dinner in Seoul. We went to a traditional-style place and ordered Korean pancakes. We had the ones with seafood, meat n veggies. Also ordered a few bowls of bean paste soup (it has a malt-o-meal texture but is very good!) As with most Korean food, it came with a lot of side dishes! There was kimchi, pean sprouts, various sauces, meat (duck and pork), radish, some fishcakes, and a salad (with some sort of melon dressing). Here's a picture!



Basically, we ate so much food. That's typical here. I thought I was losing weight, but discovered the other morning I'm still at the same weight I was before I left; perhaps just a few pounds lighter. I also stopped dance class for a month thanks to my foot, so hopefully I can get rid of some of it again.

After dinner, we went to another place nearby for some drinks and snacks (which we didn't really eat, we we're still full!)

Went out later to some club in Hongdae (one of the University areas). This place has a lot of foreigners. Just a bit more than I liked, but the place was also very packed. We had a good time dancing for awhile then left for some more food. It was past midnight by this time, so we were hungry. Ordered some dokkboki, a fishcake soup, and fried veggies and seafood (like tempura?) I guess we had gotten some of the food for free because they were out of a dish we had wanted. I love that most places in Korea will give you some sort of "service," a free drink or dish. It's mostly because you attend there often, from what I gather. The chicken restaurant in my apartment will always give me a pepsi for free with my order. I don't really like Pepsi, but will drink it because they gave it to me! I've been to a few other places that will give you something extra when you order, but I can't think of what specifically.

Sunna and I were going to head to her house to sleep, but we got confused on who was going where when we took the taxis so we ended up joining Matthew and Jason at the Sauna. This is different from back home. At the ones I have been to here, you pay, get your towel and clothes and go change (remove your shoes, of course). We took the elevator to the women's floor and got changed and washed our faces. You can buy any sort of shower things you need because there's an area next to the lockers where you can shower and sit in hot-tubs. The fun part is you get to wander around naked in that room. XP I'm being sarcastic, of course! We didn't shower, but the last time I went my friend and I did. Luckily it was just her and I so we weren't uncomfortable.
Sunna and I then headed down to meet up with Matthew and Jason. There's a common room where you can sit in some heated rooms and chill on mats. Since it was around 3am by this time, everyone was sprawled out all over the place, asleep. We tried to find places to sleep and eventually some spots opened up and we laid down for a bit. I got too hot because the floors are heated so Sunna and I went back to the women's shower house. We found a corner room in there that had more places to sleep so we got comfortable and went to bed. It's not the best place to sleep but I've gotten used to a hard bed so I was ok. It wasn't as warm as I would have liked but I just put the towel over me and crashed. We only planned to sleep until we could catch the train home, but ended up sleeping til 10am. Got up and changed back into our clothes and headed out. Matthew and Jason had left, so Sunna and I went home. I made it home then crashed again. I slept on and off for awhile and just did some laundry.

That's some of the culture that I realize is different, so I thought I'd take the time to share! It's really quite interesting, but I enjoy these little aspects of the culture. With how large and driven this country is, people are so nice and are always wanting to get to know you. People will ask questions such as: "how old are you?" "what's your blood type?" "when's your birthday?" "do you have a boy/girlfriend?" It's never meant as an insult; they just feel those are important questions to ask in order to know who someone is and to become closer with them.

Anyway, I'd probably keep writing, but I've gotta head out to meet Sarah for an early dinner and the Eric Clapton concert! :) It's my last concert for awhile, so hopefully I can get more culture posts up for you. ^_^

Take care~~!!♥

No comments:

Post a Comment