Tuesday, July 6, 2010

another update!!

So, yesterday I taught 3rd grade. I only had 4 classes. Today was the same, but I will teach three 3rd grade and one 5th grade.

Yesterday didn't start of as easy as the other classes. I have a different co-teacher for 3rd grade. She had me teach from the start, without me observing or really discussing with her first. But, I did ask her a few questions before the day started and also learned as I went along. :) It was very tricky (I felt like it was!) my first class, but it started to go better after that. I just followed the book as best as I could and figured it out along the way. Today was much easier, in my opinion. We had the same lessons as the previous days with new classes. So, all I had to do was remember what I did yesterday. We ran into a few snags because one class didn't have a working tv (all classes have a tv, computer, and those projectors that hook to the tv and don't use transparencies). So, I used the board and wrote down all the phrases we needed to practice. It was a little awkward...I could get used to relying on technology! :)

I forgot to talk about lunch time! I buy my lunch here, instead of packing a lunch (since I'm a little low on groceries) and it comes out of my paycheck. With the dollar->won conversion, it's in favor of dollars when I spend money here (10,000 won is about 8 dollars). I think it's 2,000 won for lunch here. Anyway, the lunches are of course, traditional Korean meals. Every meal so far has included rice, a soup of some kind (seaweed soup, something w/fish flavor, and another w/dumplings I think), and side dishes. We have had kimchi most meal, too. It's hard to explain since I recognize most of the common dishes, so I'll have to maybe take pictures (but maybe without everyone around...I stand out enough). Basically, lots of food. :)

Another thing I am getting used to is all this extra time I have at school. The latest I get finished is around 2:00pm, but all teachers are required to stay at school until 4:40pm. That's nice when I need to plan a lesson, but even then, I don't need all that time to work. Luckily the other eng teacher here says it's ok to be doing non-school stuff. Maybe I will study my Korean during this extra time.

Yesterday, I went out on my own again. I needed a few things for my place, as well as a gift for a teacher's birthday this Friday. I found a small market in downtown that seemed reasonably priced. I bought some stationary (send me letters so I can use it!! ^_^), shower shoes --the one's left in my apartment wouldn't come clean-- wrapping paper for the gift, tape, and scissors. It was only 11,000 won...I think I was charged for a plastic bag so I'll have to remember to buy some reusable ones. Then, I went to the big dept store called New Core. It has department items as well as grocery items. I only visited the 1st floor because I was looking around and decided to try to find a watch. I bought one! But I have to return it because the second-hand is stuck. I don't know how I didn't notice before I left, but oh well. I figured out what to say in Korean (Thank you Matthew!) when I go to return it, but my co-teacher offered to go with me. She has to visit that store anyway. I think now it will be easier to return it. Maybe they can fix it because I really like it!

I think that was it for now...if I think of more I will post again, soon. :) When I have time this week/weekend, I will upload more pics (I took some at school!). Talk to you all soon~~please leave me comments telling me what you think AND how you all are doing. I miss you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment